Assignment 3: Concerns for Corrections Staff and Inmates
Due Week 7 and worth 150 points
Use your state’s Department of Corrections Website, as well as the Strayer
Library, to research the roles of correctional staff within the correctional
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Distinguish between administrative staff, program staff, and custodial
staff; and discuss the importance of each.
- Rank the four (4) types of power available to correctional staff in order of
importance (one  being the most important, four  being the least
important). Provide a rationale for your ranking.
- Prioritize the following corrections staff concerns, with one (1) being the
most important and four (4), the least important: funding, radical inmates,
multi-generations, and mental health issues in order of importance. Speculate on
the major impact, whether negative or positive, that each concern will have on
corrections staff overall. Justify your response.
- It is widely known that corrections personnel often experience “compassion
fatigue” or the reduced capacity to be empathetic of an offender’s circumstance.
Speculate on both the reason for such indifference and the long term consequence
of such behavior. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia
and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Recommend improvements to selected areas of corrections.
- Analyze the operational components of prisons, jails, and alternative
- Classify inmate types, explaining the issues involved and the purposes
served within prison society by various types.
- Examine gender issues involved in corrections.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in correctional
- Write clearly and concisely about correctional facility policies using
proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic /
organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following
rubric found here.