TOPIC CHOICE ONE: Innovative Entrepreneurs – Walker and Ford
Here you will focus on the business approaches of Madame C. J. Walker and Henry Ford. Both developed innovative and successful approaches in a time of rapid economic change. You will compare them in the way they started their respective businesses and the key innovative features that made each successful. One might find virtues, problems, and successes associated with both. You might see elements of each in strategies of later leaders and related issues even today.
Sources: Schultz, p. 396-7 (only Ford is discussed in our textbook). For Madam C. J. Walker (1867-1919), see http://www.madamcjwalker.com/bios/madam-c-j-walker/; and https://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/100-amazing-facts/madam-walker-the-first-black-american-woman-to-be-a-self-made-millionaire/. For Henry Ford, see https://www.history.com/topics/inventions/henry-ford.
LENGTH AND DEVELOPMENT: Each paper in our class is a 5-paragraph essay, plus there is a title page (=cover page) at the start and a Sources list at the end. The body of the paper is to be double-spaced. The body of the paper should be five paragraphs and a total of 500-to-800 words in length. The 500 minimum is firm; you really have not adequately developed the paper if less than that. The 800-word upper limit is really a guideline—ok to go over. Just don’t ramble.
Use ONLY the sources designated (ATTACHED THE SECTION OF THE BOOK FOR SCHULTZ PAGE 396)
- Be typed, double spaced between lines, using Times New Roman font, Calibri, Arial, or Courier (size 10, 11, or 12), with one-inch margins on all sides. You must have a Sources list at the end; each source listed must also be cited in the body of the paper with an in-text citation.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the Sources page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- The body of the paper should be five paragraphs and a total of 500-to-800 words in length. The 500 minimum is firm; you really have not adequately developed the paper if less than that. The 800 maximum is a loose guideline. The body of the paper is to be double-spaced. Typically, if you follow these instructions, the body of your paper will be 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pages in length; add a page for your title page and another for your sources list and that then gets to 4-1/2-to 5-1/2. But the length requirement is evaluated by word count.
The SWS style in-text citations in the body of your paper would look something like these:
(Schultz, 1, p. #).(Bundles, 2).(Gates, 3).(History.com, 4).
The SWS style list of sources at the end of your paper would look something like this, though the order may vary:
1.Kevin M. Schultz. 2018. HIST: Volume 2: U.S. History since 1865.5th ed.
2.A’Lelia Bundles.n.d.Madam C. J. Walker:A Brief Biographical Essay.http://www.madamcjwalker.com/bios/madam-c-j-walker/
3.H. L. Gates. n.d.Madam Walker, the First Black American Woman to Be a Self-Made Millionaire.https://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/100-amazing-facts/madam-walker-the-first-black-american-woman-to-be-a-self-made-millionaire/
4.History.com Editors. June 6, 2019. Henry Ford. https://www.history.com/topics/inventions/henry-ford
In your introduction section, cover the information listed in the bullets below. Your introduction should be one paragraph in length:
- Identify the two different people or government programs that you will discuss; provide relevant date(s) or time frames.
- Describe what you will cover in the paper.
HISTORY AND ISSUES
In two paragraphs, do the following:
For Topic Choice One: Describe briefly the background of each person’s early struggles or success at business development and the motivations. Describe key innovations in strategy that led to success. Devote one paragraph to each person and strategy.
For Topic Choice Two: Describe briefly the background of each government program and what motivated its proposal and passage. Describe the impact of each program on the economy. Devote one paragraph to each program and strategy.
In your comparison paragraph, evaluate what you see as the strengths and weaknesses of each, and the impact of each in that period of history. Explain which approach you favor and why.
In your conclusion paragraph, identify similar issues or approaches that developed later, and any similar issues or approaches today.