To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review Chapter 12 in the course text Controversies in Globalization: Contending Approaches to International Relations. Consider the effectiveness of HIV/AIDS prevention programs and HIV/AIDS treatment programs in the global community.
- Review the article “Changing Global Essential Medicines Norms to Improve Access to AIDS Treatment: Lessons From Brazil.” Pay attention to unique aspects of the Brazilian AIDS treatment programs. Also consider how the Brazilian AIDS treatment programs transformed treatment programs in the global health arena.
- Review the article “Introduction to HIV and AIDS Education.” Take note of the various locations where AIDS education occurs and consider whether or not AIDS education programs are useful in addressing the global issue of AIDS and other health issues.
- Review the article “Global Report: Fact Sheet: Sub-Saharan Africa.” Reflect on the HIV/AIDS statistics presented, and consider the success of HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment programs in fighting HIV/AIDS.
- Search the Internet for HIV/AIDS programs. You may wish to search the website of organizations such as UNAIDS or AVERT for specific information.
- Select an HIV/AIDS program and consider the effectiveness of the program in addressing HIV/AIDS.
- Think about how the principles and methods of HIV/AIDS programs might be applied to address other global health issues.
The Assignment must include: 1-2 pages
1. a brief description of a program used to address the HIV/AIDS epidemic.
2. explain the effectiveness of the program you selected.
3. explain how you might apply the principles or methodology of the program to address another health issue of your choice. Be specific and provide examples.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
References to be used:
- Article: AVERT: AVERTing HIV and AIDS. (n.d.). Introduction to HIV and AIDS education. Retrieved from http://www.avert.org/aids-hiv-education.htm
- Article: Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (2010). Providing Comprehensive HIV Prevention, Care, and Treatment for Children and Adults at Primary Care Centers. Retrieved from http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNADX096.pdf
- Article: UNAIDS: Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. (n.d.). Global report: Fact sheet: Sub-Saharan Africa. Retrieved from http://www.unaids.org/en/resources/presscentre/factsheets/
Course Text: Controversies in Globalization: Contending Approaches to International Relations
- Chapter 12, “HIV/AIDS: Should the Wealthy Nations Promote Anti-HIV/AIDS Efforts in Poor Nations?”
- Article: Nunn, A. S., da Fonseca, E. M., & Gruskin, S. S. (2009). Changing global essential medicines norms to improve access to AIDS treatment: Lessons from Brazil. Global Public Health, 4(2), 131–149.