Assess the effectiveness of a project contracting and procurement strategy.
As you expected, many of the older project managers at ADC are not happy that you are going to coordinate the procurement process for the scheduling tool. These project managers believe that their years of experience make them exempt from following proper project management guidelines. Therefore, you need to present the benefits of using a procurement process and the negative consequences of not using a procurement process.
Start by reviewing the Project Management Institute’s A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), Sixth Edition Knowledge Area on Project Procurement Management. Use the course materials, textbooks, and Web resources to develop your understanding of how procurement and contract management fit in to the project management life cycle.
PMBOK is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Within the Discussion Board area, write 400 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
- Use the library to select a case study with regard to procurement and project management.
- The selected case study should address how a lack of control over procurement adversely affected the project.
- Address the following questions using your selected case study as support:
- In your opinion, why was the lack of procurement detrimental to the project in your case study?
- What steps could have been taken to prevent the problems from the beginning of the project?
- What would you have done to correct the project once problems had already arisen? Why?
- Provide 1 example of a time when you feel that you successfully performed procurement activities. Explain why you think it was successful.
ALSO Responded to Two Discussion Posts which will be Attached with the Class Scenario
Apply knowledge of the bid and proposal processes, including preparing the make-or-buy analysis, project bid proposal, preparing an RFP and a response, and formulating a contract strategy.
Develop both an outsourcing proposal to the corporate board and an RFP to vendors using proven PM methodologies.
Your manager has asked you to follow up your discussion with an outline of how the procurement process would integrate with the rest of the project and how you plan to develop your procurement activities. You need to develop a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the Scheduling Procurement Project.
- Address the following questions as you develop your RFP:
- How will your procurement process integrate with the rest of the project?
- Why do you feel that this will allow for a successful project?
- What procurement management processes will you use within your plan? Why?
- What are 2 potential types of contracts that you would consider for this project?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?