https://toplevelwriters.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/LOGO2-300x75.png 0 0 Zab https://toplevelwriters.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/LOGO2-300x75.png Zab2023-01-07 00:00:002023-01-07 00:00:00Reading Discussion: 2nd 8 Week Book Choice
Reading Discussion: 2nd 8 Week Book Choice
- Initial response due Thursday at 11:59pm
- Respond to TWO classmates due by Saturday at 11:59pm
Answer any three of the questions for your book.
Questions for Cuckoo’s Calling:
- What do you think of Cormoran Strike? What do you think of Robin Ellacott?
- Using a hard-bitten investigator assisted by a young, ambitious “Girl Friday” is a classic detective-story trope. What does her character bring to the story? How does their relationship work or not work in your opinion?
- When we meet Strike, he is not at a personal high point. What are some of his struggles? He is further developed as the book proceeds – what did you find most interesting or surprising as we learned more about him in Part 1?
- Why do you think Strike is so passionate about investigation and being a detective?
- How does Strike’s disability affect his investigation? How does it affect how he relates to others? Why do you think his prosthesis pain/discomfort frequently is mentioned?
- Does the fact that the book was penned by J.K. Rowling affect you view of it? “In speculating as to why J.K. Rowling might have written The Cuckoo’s Calling under a pseudonym, the New York Times wrote, “Ms. Rowling may well have felt that the reaction, both critical and commercial [to Casual Vacancy, her first effort after Harry Potter], was distorted by her fame.” Why do you think she felt compelled to use a pseudonym? If you’ve read her Harry Potter books, do you detect any similarities, either in style or structure?