The Hate U Give ch14-26
Reading Journal 5, THUG2, Chapters 14 to 26
Note: Journals entries will not be graded on grammar; they will be graded simply on completeness, display of thinking process, and effort.
Your journal will consist of three steps:
Step One–Summarizing (What?)
First, view Freytag’s Pyramid, included in the Literary Analysis section of your course.
Then, choose ONE of the following methods to summarize the section of the novel for which you are responsible:
- Draw a completed Freytag’s Pyramid for the entire novel matching the major elements of the parts of the plot (exposition, rising action, complication, climax, reversal, falling action, and denouement). OR
- Write a summary of the plot elements for the novel matching the major elements of the plot (exposition, rising action, complication, climax, reversal, falling action, and denouement).
Step Two–Responding (So What?)
Immediately following the summary, write your personal reaction to what you have just read (so what?). At this point, you want to explore your reaction to the text and connect the new information to your existing web of knowledge.
Step Three–Analyzing (How did the writer write?)
Respond in detail to at least three of the following questions:
- What is the narrative point of view and how does it affect the story?
- What is the main problem facing the main character?
- What figurative language is used and how does the language affect the telling of the story?
- What symbols does the author use?
- What important themes are embedded in the narrative?
- How does this novel compare to other novels you have read?
- What topic or topics (love, religion, politics, art, sex, etc.) continue to surface in this part of the novel?